Sunday, August 12, 2012

Dark Chocolate and Sea Salt

This is really what started it all.
inspiration
I tasted the Lindt Dark Chocolate with Sea Salt.  For the last two days, whenever I close my eyes at night, I remember biting into a piece of...heaven.  I don't want to seem too dramatic, but really--it's that good.

I ate the whole bar right there.  I'm a sinner.  Sorry body.

---

Looking through the pantry I found a pack of self raising flour that I bought by mistake and decided I should use it up.  So I decided that I'd make muffins.

I read that if you use this kind of flour, you should skip the baking soda and baking powder--even salt because they are already added in.  I knew I'd put salt in still through because clearly, that was the inspiration.
use me

I googled for recipes and found Double Chocolate Chip and Yogurt.  I would need to change it up a bit, but at least it would have the  chemistry all worked out.

---

I didn't have yogurt.

So, I mixed milk and vinegar.  It didn't churn.  Great.

I added two small limes--calamansi and then I got some results.
i love how the wet stuff look together
I am quite nervous about this one.  Really.  I am substituting/adding/removing too many things!

chaos

Give me bitterness.  Dark Chocolate.

Give me sweetness.  White Chocolate.

Give me saltiness.  Errr... Sea Salt.

---

I put more dark chocolate that what the recipe called for--around 50% more.  White chocolate was nowhere in the recipe too.  I put half the dark chocolate amount.  Going to gooey here :)

---

Fast forward to how it turned out after baking.

By inspection, not good :(

Booooo.

THE SELF RISING FLOUR DIDN'T RISE.
stunted
The muffins were compact.  The only redeeming factor was that a star, one STAR came through.
a champion
I was worried that I wasted all the ingredients.

After a deep breathe, I tasted one.  Not the star.  It was there as a sign of hope.
excuse a MOIST
It was soooo moist.  And good.  I love how all the flavors came together!

It actually tasted of lava cake.  

So maybe the self raising flour didn't perform--but the rest of the team compensated.

I got my happy ending.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...