Saturday, August 25, 2012

I'm knead-y

I had finally found a grocery that carries corn meal! 

One would be surprised on just how many didn't.

---

My original plan was to make corn muffins--and that will happen, I know.  My craving got in the way. On Friday I couldn't stop thinking of corn dogs.    

I have not seen any store selling it where I live--that seems strange.  MAYBE it's because I never really looked.

I got myself some Italian sausages, sturdy sticks, wholemeal flour and I was ready to make some serious yellow dough.

---

I was happily mixing, talking, laughing and kneading--excited of what the end product would become.

The dough seemed to feel different, like it needed more liquid.  More kneading.

 Then it felt like it needed more flour.  More kneading.

Then I thought I should give it a rest.

I put it aside to rise. 

---

One hour later,  I came back to check.

OH MY GOD.

It was as if time stood still.  NOTHING happened to my dough.  It looked exactly like it did when I left it.  If only, it looked dry.

I googled my way to a workable solution.

I read that it may be due to the temperature so I placed the dough in warm-er place.  Waited 15 minutes.  Nothing.

I read that you can potentially steam the dough.  I did.  Waited 15 minutes.  Nothing.

I read that I could revive it by adding yeast dissolved in liquid and more flour.  I did.  Believe me when I say that all this time I felt like a doctor pumping someone's chest waiting for a break on the flat line.  Kneading.

I did that.  Nothing.

Not happy.

I was really frustrated, but I had to remind myself that things like this happen and there is a lesson to be learnt here.

That did not stop me from throwing away the dough though.  I did find out later on that I could use this dough for crackers.  Too late.  Too stubborn.    I hate that I threw it away because I really don't like wasting food.  It is wrong.  I was wrong.

---

It was late, but I was determined.

I whipped out another batch, this time careful not to add too much liquid or flour and kneading only for a couple of minutes.

I read that over kneading makes stubborn dough.  A dough can only take so much pressure  :)

And what do you know?  My lovely dough rose!

---

I love happy endings.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...