Monday, August 13, 2012

invisible monsters

I had just finished Hunger Games and the two other books in the trilogy.  The first was a quick and easy read, it was entertaining too--I do enjoy young adult books every now and then.

The second book was not as good.  I forgave the author thinking that middle books are quite tricky because the story needs to develop, but really it is there to set the stage for the final book.

The third book, that was the problem.  It was quite a task to finish.  I couldn't wait for it to be over.  Twists just came one after the other--in a licorice kind of way.  It just felt fickle.  Too fickle--even for a book for an adolescent.

Katniss, I think is a better Bella.  But still a Bella.  I'm sure you get what I'm trying to say.

Can you blame me for expecting more?  Maybe. 

---

Like a bad taste in my mouth, I wanted something sweet so I scanned my ebooks for my next read.

It took a while for me to decide as it is quite a long list. 

Chuck Palahniuk. He is the writer behind the book that brought about of one of my favorite movies of all time, Fight Club.

While I haven't read Fight Club but given its storyline, I felt reading the other books has a low risk of being total waste of time.

I stopped myself from googling the chosen book--because I hate accidentally reading wrong reviews.  As in, not a wrong--not right review.  But reviews that give too much away.  Because I want to make up my mind about it before taking in what others think.  I told myself I'd do that after I'm done reading. 

---

I read Invisible Monsters

I love how the book read.  Perhaps Fight Club was written this way as well.

I can almost imagine watching it.  I could see every frame.  It was, in my head a screenplay.

The book debuts with the main characters in a curious scene and then moves back and forth and back and forth revealing what happened that lead to the the opening scene.  It does eventually catch up with the opening scene then moves forward.

If you're familiar with Fight Club, you'd probably know that there would be a twist.  Maybe a few.  But not in a Mocking Jay kind of way.

That is not a spoiler.  I don't think.

---

(Okay, I literally googled just now.  It looks like the movie is coming up in 2013.  There is not much info available to non Pro IMBD users.  I am giddy.  Too excited.  I WANT TO SEE IT.  NOW.)

---

Currently halfway through Choke

Maybe after that I'd do Fight Club.  The book.  Not the act.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...