Saturday, August 11, 2012

mushroom++ calzone

I was waiting all week to have a chance to make calzone.  The successful pizza making was more than inspiring to work with dough more.

I knew it was going to be mushrooms inside but I wasn't sure what else to put inside.  I even consulted my mom and went back and forth the aisle waiting for inspiration.
chop chop chop
Mushroom and onions with cheese.  Mushroom and rosemary chicken.  Mixed mushroom and cheese.  Mushroom with spinach.  Maddening.
sorry Smurfs
I decided I'd make a few different kinds--it gave me an excuse to to try them all!

I knew the first one was going to have tomato inside.  So I made a tomato sauce with garlic, some herbs and topped that with mushroom and mozzarella.  Nothing too exciting, this was my standard.
expected
Rolling the dough came much easier than last time, now that I have a somewhat proper rolling pin versus a long fatter-than-the-usual chopstick used to stir fry.

No eggs left because I used them all up so I glazed with olive oil.
to me, that looks like a smile.  really.
My first calzone had some leakage issues, but I must say it looked pretty good for a first.
early lunch
 Obviously, I had to taste it so I can adjust the next batch.  I actually made four.

Straight out of the oven it was really warm, the cheese mad melted, the bread tasted good, the texture was perfect, it was soft and firm where it ought to be.  I AM KEEPING THIS DOUGH RECIPE.

It was really more than I could have hoped for.  I had tasted the filling prior to the calzone baking so I knew what to expect but with the melted cheese and the fresh-out-of-the-oven smell.  I was blown away. 

I have the feeling I'd be making calzone more and more.  And more.  And more.

So for the experimental filling.  I chose to localise it.  Chinese Sausage.  Yes.  With Mushroom.
this seems crazy (fat)
I sliced them and cooked until the fat became translucent.
polka dots
No one really describes the cooking time that way.  They'd say, oh I cooked it for x minutes or I cooked it till the oil from the sausage came out but no one says I cooked it until the fat became transparent.
skinny
I rolled a little thinner this time and made a rectangular shape--for no other reason but that I wanted to try it out.  

The break part came out really crispy--the sides were practically garlic sticks.  LOVE.  I am not sure which I like better, so I'd probably make both again next time.
dessert
While I was so full from eating half of the first calzone, I ended up having another giant half.  Because I couldn't stop myself. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...