Wednesday, August 1, 2012

forbidden fruit (cake)

The real next thing in my list is an empanada.  I loved working with dough so much that I wanted to try out other kinds.

Unfortunately, I was distracted--lured by the apple pie.

I changed up the recipe a bit, only to suit my taste more.

I opted for green apples.  My favorite kind.  I love how it is sour and perfect with caramel.  I was not the best apple peeler--ended up throwing out more fruit than necessary.  See photo.
bite me
I also adjusted the cinnamon amount because I am not so huge a fan. The walnuts, I kept as in the recipe.  I switched some oil with butter--not all, just some.

I really wanted the caramel taste, so I changed the sugar too.

The recipe called for dates.  I wasn't too keen on dates.  I knew I needed to have some sort of chewy fruit in there, but I wasn't sure.  I never really loved raisins, so that was out.  Yes, even the green ones.

I thought of putting in apricots instead. 

I googled some possible alternatives, but I could find any I preferred over dates.  I gave up when I saw a search result that said masturbat---n was the true substitute.  Eyeroll.
do you know of any alternative for dates?
The end result was quite nice, very moist with crispy apples in every bite.  I don't even taste the dates, but it provided a nice contrasting texture.

I found that it lacked something.  Some sweetness, some burnt sugar flavour.   

I quickly cooked a light caramel syrup and drenched the entire pie with it :)

The result?
temptress




This cake actually got me a "Master Chef" title from the person I'm with.  Even if he hates dates--the fruit.

---

I would love to eat this with some vanilla ice cream laced with rum.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...