Thursday, June 18, 2009

waisting

This is the dress I altered as I mentioned in my previous entry.

Why did I buy the dress? Hmmmmmm. Interesting question. It reminded me of one of my bestfriend's dresses. Of course hers was a tube dress, but it was made out of black cotton material and had beige embroidery on the chest area and at the edge of the dress. It was gathered at the chest and waist by elastic bands.

While I couldn't transform this into a tube, nor could I gather the chest area (as it could look real weird), I thought that I could gather the waist. And I did just that.

It is still a bit duster-ish, but I think it can now pass for something that could be worn during casual afternoon barbecues.

Or an afternoon butterscotch baking affair at a place that sounds like a cookie factory. (I wonder if I should start sewing an apron. And pastry chef hat.)

While I don't think people who sew read my blog for sewing tips, I am posting the stitch pattern I used to sew the elastic band on the wrong side of the dress. I ran the cloth overlapped by the stretched elastic through the machine along the waist. The effect is nice too as the gathering looked a bit ruffled.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...