Thursday, January 19, 2012

buy buy love

This year, I'd like to be able to master a few things.

The titles may be pushing it, but since this is a seemingly-new-year-themed-entry it makes perfect sense :)

1. Choose your battles

I'd like to be able to say by the end of this year "I only acquire if I can afford it, it is of good quality, something I will utilise and would stand the test of time".

Well, there really wasn't anything that I acquired which I could not afford. I think emphasis must be made on the utilisation part.

Obviously, my tabo doesn't have to be branded. Or of superior quality. A tabo is a tabo. And well, I don't even have a tabo.

2. Don't sweat the small stuff

If I go to a jewelry store, resisting to buy is a breeze, because things cost a lot. But if I go to a clothing store, it is very easy for me to buy something, because the cost is (relatively) low.

Another shirt. Another dress.

What I failed to realise--actually, more on what I refused to acknowledge was that perhaps I was spending a lot on these small things that I could easily have had enough to get something that would give me more satisfaction had I said "No" those times.

Don't get me started on the law of diminishing returns.

3. Know when you are "in love" as opposed to being "in love with love"


Once upon a time, I saw a pink sweater that I liked but did not buy is since I felt I didn'tt want to spend that much. For a couple of weeks I constantly thought about it.

One day, I decided to get it, only to realise that it was gone.

It has been around 12 years since but I still think about it.

In reality, if I got it then it would probably sit in my closet right now. Waiting for a chance to be worn.

It seems like an opportunity loss to me because I perceive it as the one (sweater) that got away.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...