Sunday, May 9, 2010

jeje

I was chatting with a friend and were trying to decipher a new language bore of jeje. Halfway through, she asks me a trivial question that lead to a whole new discussion.

A: Guess what the first Filipino word girls teach their foreign boyfriends?

T: Hmmmmm. Tough one. A curse most likely--or a dirty word. P.I.?

A: "tampo"

T: Isn't that negative? Why not "mahal"?

A: It might be too soon in the relationship, so you can't talk about love.

T: How about "gusto"?

A: "Lambing" maybe.

T: How do you explain that? "deliberately doing exceedingly sweet gestures to show appreciation"?

A: Hmmmm. That's tough.

T: But the exceeding part seems inaccurate. The point I'm trying to drive at is that it should be over the top, unnatural or out of the ordinary.

A: But in real life it is just another way to let the person know that you care.

T: I think I got it. MAKING OPPORTUNITIES FOR THE OTHER PERSON TO BE AFFECTIONATE.

A: That's it. Exactly.

1 comment:

Nubian said...

Well said ~ I will share that with my girls :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...