Monday, March 30, 2009

singing seriously last sunday

So I went to mass on Sunday. I sat beside an old lady, also attending mass by herself. I noticed that she had taken time to get a copy of the Song AND Mass Guides.

I never bother to get these as I'd rather listen than listen AND READ at the same time. It is redundant and I get frustrated when I find the reader lagging behind my reading in my head, like an echo.

As the mass commenced, my seatmate turned to the page and held the guide closer to me, as if to say that we should share. I smiled and held the other side of the guide, it is hardbound and quite heavy, I didn't want her to strain her arms just so I could be guided.

I still think that the mass guide didn't make a difference for me, as I am able to memorize the response after the reader makes a run before going through the intentions. Okay, maybe a slight difference, as I need to peep at the verse of the week sandwiched by hallelujah singing.

What surprised me was the singing part! I ended up singing all the songs. Even those that I didn't know. I used the notes. I know, I can't sing on key to save my life, but at least I could get the timing right. Whole note, four counts....

I even finished the final hymn!

I think next week, I'll get a song guide. Or I'll sit beside her again.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...