Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Dad Drinks



It's Saturday night and I find myself at the resort bar with some friends.

Two seemingly married couples were playing billiards.

Three men were at the bar, drinking beer while alternately singing sentimental songs.

A large group of teenagers were having a blast, telling stories, snickering, singing along karaoke songs.

The waiter was hitting on my friend.

Looking at my Johnnie-7, I am suddenly reminded of Dad Drinks.

Back in Manila, I usually spend Saturday nights with Poldo, Ricks, RP and Quiel. We'd watch movies, go to Tagaytay, bowl, food trip at Dampa, but whatever activity, we always end the night with a couple of drinks.

Everyone would get beer, except me, my drinks depended on my mood.

Sometimes when we feel like celebrating, Poldo and I would get Asti. That was our special bonding drink.

The set-up changes a bit when there are parties.

Guys drink beer, the girls drink vodka or bailey's while the older gentlemen drink Whiskey or Brandy, hence Dad Drinks. Being the girl who makes the supposed-all-boys-group interesting, as Quiel put it, (because they have a female companion, they are not seen as dogs, I de-dog the group), I drink with the boys. This translates to, when the booze starts running low, I'd switch to the Dad drinks so that the other girls could have what is left of the ladies' drink.

They used to laugh at me drinking these dad drinks. And I wasn't too happy giving up the cutesy drinks. But as I finished my drink and ask for a Johnnie-Walker-on-the-rocks, I'm thinking that I miss Saturday Night parties at the Southside.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...