Wednesday, September 25, 2013

one chicken, one meal

Last week, I decided to use my new dutch oven (at my fiance's flat) to bake a whole chicken.

---

When I got back from the store I started by warming up the lemon and poking small slits.  This lemon would go into the chicken cavity together with salt and herbs.

So far, so good.

I peeled the cling wrap from the chicken so I can wash the bird.

OMG!

I jumped back. 

The head was still attached!

AND THE FEET! 

The feet were in the cavity.

---

I called my fiance and he came into the rescue but cutting the monster's head and feet off.

He was also kind enough to wash the chicken for me--I think that was his apology for cutting off the leg the from calf rather than the ankle.  No wonder it looked funny!

---

With adrenaline pumping into my veins from the fright I just had, I continued seasoning the chicken.

I laid it over a bed of onions inside the dutch oven, turned on the heat and prepared to bake potato and sweet potato in the oven.

 

missing 'calves'

The chicken came out super juicy and tasty! 

Only...the onions were burnt!  There was no burnt taste at all.  Nor burnt smell. 

I'd research on how not to burn the lining.  I know my dad uses a bed of sea salt, but where I live that is not really very practical.

---

My Fiance loved the chicken.   He ate 3/4 of the bird! 

We finished it all in one sitting--even with all the baked sides.

---

For next time, I need to figure out which chicken for sale no longer have a head and feet.

And how not to burn the ingredients that touch the bottom of the pan.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...