Sunday, September 15, 2013

induction crazy

In the middle of packing, shopping for essentials, canvasing next batch home related purchases, actioning on small details for the wedding, I decided to test the hob and oven in the new home.  The warranty period will end before October and this was was the only week I had time.

---

For the oven, things ran quite smoothly.  I made a simple dish that I make all the time so I know just how long and how brown it should be given cooking time and temperature.  It came out perfect.

---

The hob.

Well, I started easy.  I fried an egg on my new skillet that boasts of being non-stick.  I didn't put any oil--at all.  This is like setting up the pan to fail for even with non-stick, I like to put some fat into the egg.

Success.

In my mind, I justified the cost of the frying pan (not overly extravagant, but there would have been a decent equivalent that costs half).  Mine is beautiful outside and performs as promised.  Talk about choosing well ;)

---

It was getting late and I was getting bored.

But the vision of my Visions kept me going.

I bought a set of ceramic glass a few weeks back at it boasts of being compatible with stove and oven cooking.  It has clear amber coloured body and looked so good, it would be a shame not to use it as a serving dish too.

I also love the idea of being able to see what is going on inside the pot without constantly hovering.

I kept it simple and boiled water for soba.  Attempted to boil water may be more fitting.  It never boiled.

I took out another pot, filled it with water and gave it a go.  Nothing.

Forty minutes.  Nothing.

---

What is wrong?

The hob was spoilt?

I didn't do anything odd.

There was no indication of something going wrong.

---

I told my fiancé that he needed to contact the agent to advise them about the stove.   He calmly said that he will check it the following day and read through the manuals.

I said that the pot is compatible with glass top and whatever other type of electric stove.  It said so in the box.

Plus, I tried the other pot and nothing happened too.

He looked at me, and I knew what he was saying.  I will look into it.  Don't worry.  It will be okay.

---

Turns out, nothing is wrong with the hob.

It was just that it is an induction hob.  Without explaining the whole science of induction hobs, it translates to it is picky when it comes to pots and pans.  

Material, shape (bottom) and size matter.  And when I say material, it isn't simple saying stainless steel or aluminium, the ferromagnetic property counts!  Needless to say, to be sure something would work, you would either have to bring a magnet along--or look for the logo.

I hate that logo.  

It is a reminder that I won't be able to use Visions.

It also means I need to let my other new caldero that was perfect for risotto and paella go.

Ceramics are also out so my fiancé's happy call pan and pot, need to go too.  I love those two.

---

We managed to find a caldero replacement that would work.

And I am still in the lookout for the perfect stock pot.

can you see it?

I had accepted the truth that there are times when we are sure about things that are not necessarily true.

The day I was told of the induction hob, I had accepted that I was wrong and that I have no choice but deal with it.

On the flip side though, when cooking with the correct pot or pan, I quite love using an induction stove.  No black marks at the bottom.  It heats up pretty fast too.

The induction stove and I, I think that maybe we just started off with the wrong foot.  But I'm quickly realising, that maybe it is really a match made in heaven.

Looking at the logo now, I can't help but see intertwined hearts.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...