Sunday, May 3, 2009

sunday small talk

I headed to KFC for lunch. I was initially contemplating between a two piece original meal and a beef brisket soup with prawn pancake on the side at Din Tai Fung, but I was ravenous and couldn't be bothered with the long wait. So KFC it was.

I was able to secure a table--for four, even if I was eating by myself. It was the only free table, who am I to complain?

Of course almost instantly, a pair of chicken lovers came, and I let them share the table with me.

Then a 40-something woman came, pointing at the seat in front of me. I smiled and said she could take the seat. She smiled too then sat across me.

I could see her peeping into what I was having. I didn't mind.

Then it happened. She started a conversation. Bummer.

Below are not the exact words, but it is very much like how I remember it.

W: Nice ring. Is that a wedding ring?
T: (Wonders why she thinks it is a wedding ring as it is in the middle finger. Decides she is just trying to make conversation.) Thanks. No. It isn't.
W: So you bought it for yourself?
T: Ummm. Yeah. I did.
W: That is so sad. Poor you.
T: (Looks up then continues eating without saying anything.)
W: You are pretty, you know?
T: Thanks. God is kind, he made me look like my mom.
W: Do you have someone?
T: Like family? Or friends? Yes. And yes.
W: No. Like a husband, boyfriend. Or girlfriend.
T: (Thinks the girlfriend ad lib was amusing.) Nope.
W: But why? I was young and pretty once and I always had someone. You should have one too.
T: (Doesn't know what to say. Expects woman to talk about her glory days.) Noted.
W: I am serious. It would be a waste. You won't be beautiful forever.
T: (Wants to hit woman with a mallet.) I suppose there are good anti-wrinkle products out there.
W: (Looks puzzled.) Think about it.
T: Yeah.
W: One day you will wake up old.
T: (Tries very best to smile.) Yeah, like June 12.
W: (Looks confused.)
T: (Is happy woman finally shut up. Quickly eats the last of the chicken. Stands up to leave.) Got to go. Bye.

I should have gone to Din Tai Fung. I don't particularly enjoy talking to people I don't know, or those who do not interest me. I don't feel the need to talk to someone every chance I get.

I however, put some muscle into responding and keeping the conversation going with people I run into on Sundays.

Why Sunday? My reason? Well, in all likelihood these people never get to talk about random things to anyone at home and it is only on Sundays that they are free to socialize, of course they are excitable! With all these being said, I somewhat felt guilty that I didn't indulge her. I easily could have said "Wow. That is a life changing statement for me.", it would have made her day--week.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ayos... ang kulit nya.. hahaha. - shp

tracy gomez said...

Hahahaha. Too serious a topic for small talk. Sana mga tipong "Nice weather, huh?" nalang.

:-p

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...