Sunday, November 18, 2007

Californication

I have started watching the series, Californication.

David Duchovny's acting reminds me of Richard Gere's. Enough said.

There is no chemistry. There is no chemistry between David and his leading lady, and they are supposed to be each other's greatest loves. There is no chemistry between David and his child, and they are supposed to have a very close relationship. I can list down all the relationship combinations and I am positive, there is no chemistry between any two characters. THERE IS JUST NO CHEMISTRY. I should have stopped at the first sentence of this paragraph.

Okay, maybe I am being a bit too harsh. The dog seems to be genuinely enthusiastic about David. There might be the littlest hint of chemistry there. But even then, it doesn't even wag its barely there tail. And that says something. I take it back.

I hope the one responsible for the casting quits his job soon. Very soon. Like NOW.

The script is very trite, full of cliche and is trying too hard to be profound--and witty--and sexy--and heartwarming. It seems as though the writers want to put a lot of meat into each episode, the overall effect is catastrophic, the thoughts are too cluttered. I don't think the creators had decided at this point what kind of a person the protagonist is. It is as if he is schizophrenic.

And did I mention that David's character gets to kick a lot of ass in the show? I mean, Vin Diesel could really play the part. Seriously.

Most of the traits of the characters are dictated to the audience. I must hand it to the director, maybe he realized that no one in the show could act, so he decided the emotions should be recited rather than acted out. I guess he got worried that otherwise, the audience might not get it. Pure genius.

After everything said, I have just one more thing about the writers. I think there is some plagiarism involved, there were more than I few lines that I am sure I have read or seen before. However, as I am a huge supporter of self expression and creativity, I would look the other way and just say that maybe it is not plagiarism, but actually lack of talent, originality and imagination.

For what it's worth, I will continue watching the rest of the series. It is like watching Claudine Baretto. The effect on you is very positive. You look forward to watching more because you know in your heart that the next one you watch would be a hell lot better.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I totally don't agree with anything that you've said here. I think that Duchovny had plenty of chemistry with both, the Ex and his daughter. I don't think we're watching the same show. And saying that David's acting is comparable to Richard Gere is not an insult because i think that Richard is a very good actor too. I love Californication and i'm thrilled its coming back here in the states. To me it's one of the smartest shows i've seen in a long time and the whole cast is really talented. May critics have said the same thing. Great acting by all in my opinion

tracy gomez said...

Thanks for you comment. I respect you opinion. No judgment. Have a good one!

Anonymous said...

The title of your blog says it all. If you feel TV is a waste of time, why do you watch?

I agree with the first comment posted here. Californication is a smart, funny show, brilliantly written by Tom Kapinos and brilliantly acted by a troupe of actors led by the amazing David Duchovny, who is remarkable because he underplays his characters and lets the writers' words lead the way. No scenery chewing here, just wonderfully subtle acting and beautifully witty scripts.

Anonymous said...

Self-expression is the whole point of having web diaries. If the lady critic feels that the show in question leaves a lot to be desired, then by all means... express! We live in a free country in a free world.

She may have said a few harsh comments regarding the show and the former X-FILES star. She may have gotten carried away. I for one think Duchovny's a capable actor, although I've yet to see an episode of Californication. I do definitely agree with her on one point though. Richard Gere cannot act (unless winking through a whole scene can be construed as acting).

Try reading this blogger's other entries and you'll realize that she seldom spares any punches (both for others and for herself). This could be her own unique style of writing. But if she did appreciate and enjoy something, whether it be great movies or fancy restaurants, she does share it with us readers. I could honestly say I am richer by far from reading her entries.

And so... Lady Blogger Tracy Gomez... keep on writing. Express your thoughts and opinions. Share your views. Remember... "a fool who tries to please everyone ends up pleasing no one"... so expect some resistance from other people who don't share your outlook. Then again, appreciate other people's comments because they also took the time express themselves.

Cheers and greetings!

- Anonymous Student of Life -

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...