Saturday, March 24, 2007

Sister Act

It is funny how as kids, my sister and I fought a lot. Mostly about trivial things, mostly because of me. I was the initiator, she was the victim, of course at that time I thought she was just being petty. Looking back, I did give her a hard time.
When I started working, our driver retired to be a vegetable trader. To save gas, my parents decided that my sister and I should share rides going to work. My sister would wake me up everyday, that is no easy task! She literally had to throw tantrums everyday to get me to start fixing up. Everyday, I get up only when she is a few seconds short from tears. When I get in the car, I put on my sunglasses and sleep some more. She would wake me up when the car is along Dela Costa, particularly at Tower I driveway. Oh, and she also made me a sandwich and would throw in a drink, a meal which I'd eat when I get to my desk.

When I switched jobs and found myself in an erratic schedule, she would carpool most days so that I could bring the car home at night. It was pretty much that way most of the time, she gave way to me.
On times when I get home real tired that I fall asleep with my shoes on, I would wake up to find myself in a night shirt. She, apparently changed my clothes so that I would have a more comfortable slumber.
Just when we were starting to get along, I realized, she was of age, and was getting married. I was both happy and sad when I found out. I was happy because I knew her husband all my life and I know that he is a good person and I'm glad my sister has found that one person she was going to spend the rest of her life with. I was sad because I'm not sure I was able to show her how much I appreciate all the things she has done for me. I was too caught up with my life that I failed to see her.

I was Maid of Honor in her wedding, and again, I failed to deliver. As hectic as my job was, I was not able to help much on the arrangements. My feeble attempt to make it up to her was to direct and produce the material for her wedding video. She thanked me profusely, but I think that is a small thing compared to the role she has played in my life.

Realizing she was pregnant, she told me that baby girl or baby boy, I would be the godmother of her baby. I was very happy. I thought to myself. "At last I could be that person to her baby, that person that she was to me".

I found myself in a plane moving to Singapore three days before she gave birth. My bestfriend had to stand there as my proxy during A's christening.

I try. I do. And I feel real bad that it seems as though I am never there for her. I hope my sister realizes how much I love her and that when I was being sentimental and told her that she was the wind beneath my wings, I meant it. I am not a big fan of drama. I know it is damn cheesy. It is very uncharacteristic of me. But that is what she is to me.

1 comment:

Homer's Dragon said...

Oh... so Rob is the "wind beneath your wings..."... i thought that was me, ahahhahaha! Hmmmm... i'd settle for "KNIGHT IN SHINING ARMOUR", or at least "PRINCE CHARMING". =)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...