Sunday, March 11, 2007

ACA Video Rental: Summer of '42


Somewhere during the early nineties, my family got its first Laser Disk Player. After hooking up the player to the TV, we immediately got into our silver Toyota LiteAce and headed to Alabang-Zapote Road to sign up for a membership in ACA Home Video where you could rent a Laser Disk for one full week for only Php 25, and if you rent 5, you only pay Php 100. What a deal! Each family member also got to have a membership card! Hah!

I remember renting Dazzed and Confused, Somewhere In Time and Pretty in Pink the very day we got our membership. Later on I would rent other movies that seem interesting.


We also got a free VHS copy of Demolition Man.


Thinking about all these, I am reminded of this unforgettable movie--for me at least, as my movie-enthusiast-boyfriend do not seem to remember it, Summer of '42. It was an old movie then, it is an ancient movie now. I have no recollection of the cast but the story is still vivid in my mind. I even remember the feeling I had watching it. It is very nonstalgic. Thinking about it now seems to bring back old feelings. I can imagine sitting on the couch in our living room, teary-eyed with literally, cold feet.


It is very surprising, I found out only today that the movie was infact based on a screenplay. And the screenplay is based in real life.


Suddenly, if it is quite possible, the movie is more surreal to me now that it ever was.




Nothing from that first day I saw her, and no one that has happened to me since, has ever been as frightening and as confusing. For no person I've ever known has ever done more to make me feel more sure, more insecure, more important, and less significant.


PLOT: During summer vacation on Nantucket Island in 1942, a youth, Hermie (Herman Raucher) eagerly awaiting his first sexual encounter finds himself developing a contradictorily innocent love for a young woman awaiting news on her soldier husband's fate in WWII.


TRIVIA: Though author Herman Raucher admits to moving the order of certain events around and interchanging some dialogue, the movie is (according to those involved) an accurate depiction of events in Raucher's life in the summer of 1942 on Nantucket Island; he didn't even change anyone's name. He began writing the screenplay as a tribute to his friend Oscy, who'd been killed in the Korean War, but midway through writing it Raucher realized that he wanted to make it a story about Dorothy, who he had in fact neither seen nor heard from since their last night together as depicted in the movie. Raucher admits that in all the time he knew her, he never bothered to ask her what her last name was.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...