Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Dentists & Dating Potential

My friend was telling me yesterdays that people in the IT field such as ourselves rarely meet dentists at social gatherings. He says that he met someone. The minute she said she was a dentist, she transformed right in front of his eyes, he added. He realized that being in dental profession turns a seemingly-ordinary-just-a-friend-girl to an interesting-and-very-datable-woman.

Similarly, my bestfriend was into this dentist a few years back. Although she was never into the Eminem look (READ: SLIM SHADY), but this guy, he used to be THE ONE for her. Whenever I ask her why the drastic change from preppy boy to well, uhhh white-trash-rapper-type, she shrugs and says that he is kind of cute and really fit, besides, he can't be that bad, he probably has brains, he is a dentist!

I am suddently reminded of my ortho. There was a time when I had to see him every three weeks (for two years!) for braces adjustments. Not once did I associate him with my possible-partner-population. Of course it did not help that he was married and had five kids. And although he had excellent taste in books (he knew bestellers before they became bestsellers!), he was just not datable for me. End of story. He was not suddenly attractive because he was a dentist--even a good ortho at that!

I visited Marco's dentist when I was in Manila and I remember thinking to myself "She is pretty cute". When I try to picture her face now, I think "She is just okay". I guess my first statement was because I was expecting someone 3 - 4.5 in a scale of 10, and her being a 5 came as surprise. What I'm trying to say is that, in real life, as I know it, doctors and dentists don't get such nicknames as McSteamy or McDreamy.

My conclusion? Being a dentist MIGHT add to one's dating potential but in no way could it make someone undateable, datable. There are known cases though wherein being a dentist was enough to tip the scales to a more favorable outcome--for the dentist.

(I know someone who dated a dermatologist for a while even if she was positive that he was more attracted to our guy friend BECAUSE HE IS A DERMATOLOGIST. Now the dermatologists, that is a whole new ballgame!)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...