Sunday, November 17, 2013

what goes with THE dress?

Before I do a monster blog entry about the probable most important dress of my life, I thought I'd write about accessories.

---

Restraint.  

I think that it would be all too easy to go overboard with accessories.

Something for the hair, a belt for accent, a heirloom locket, a beautiful bracelet, chandelier earrings, a necklace he gave you for your anniversary--there is something meaningful, relevant, pretty, sparkly and wedding worthy for every part of the body.

It could be quite overwhelming deciding what to wear.  Or what not to wear.

For myself, I've always known that the only thing I wanted to add to the dress was a pair of earrings.

No headpiece.  No necklace.  No belt.  No bracelet.

Just earrings.

---

Now, I didn't know exactly which earrings it would be.

From those that I already had, I was sure something would work.  I had finalists.  

My finalists fell under the obvious choice category.

What is the obvious choice?  Diamonds with a drop South Sea Pearl.  I think that is beautiful.  Classic.  It is the quintessential wedding accessory.

That being said, I was happy to wear any of my finalists.


dress to earrings: you complete me

Admittedly, there was a small part of me that felt the longing for the earrings to be different.

Something that has an antique feel, but doesn't look old.  Maybe even nostalgic. 
Something potentially with a hint of colour.  But not at all bright or striking.
Subtle
Something I would love to own.
Something I can see myself wearing even after the wedding. 
Something that suites me.  My style.
It should compliment me first, the gown second. 
Something possibly romantic.  But not cheesy.
Absent of hearts or stars. 
Exhibits a sense or classiness and elegance.
Not whimsical.
It needs to be well made.
Could have a potential of being a classic.

I know this is asking a lot from a mere set of earrings.  But let us not forget that I have the "ideal" earrings on hand--and this was me dreaming of an extra special touch. 

---

With a lot of other things going on, I didn't want to stress over something I didn't even know existed.  

It wasn't as if I found the one.  

It was just the idea of the other choice. 

With a shrug I thought, if it happens, it happens.  

I didn't even set out to find it.

---

During one of my facetime sessions with my Mom,  I told her about the debate in my mind about which earrings I ought to wear for the wedding.

She offered me any earring in her jewellery stash.

She also said that we can scout for earrings when I come home to visit.  She is somewhat a regular at a certain store, so we may be able to get better rates if we see something we like, she said.

---

I guess, a fairy godmother I didn't know about decided to grant me a wedding gift.

Without much effort, I found my earrings--in the store, my Mom frequented.

It was  a bonus that my Mom loved them too!  Our styles are quite opposite so finding something we are both in love with, is on its own, an event worth noting.


my earrings, in action

I consider myself lucky.

My heart secretly dreamt up the perfect earrings and somehow, circumstances (with the help of my Mom) lead me to find it--even when I was not looking.

This is by no means a highlight on our big day, but I do smile a little when I remember the story behind that small thing.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...