Tuesday, November 26, 2013

(don't let it) slide

Lately, conversations with friends revolve around 'stepping up'. 

This of course, means different things to each person.

For the most part, it is stepping up to keep--if not make one's self more healthy, fit and possibly attractive.

---

This is not centered on any particular agenda, except that you wouldn't want to 'slide'.

Youthfulness from a physical perspective is something that easily slips between your fingers when you reach a certain age.

Truly for me, turning thirty shook me up pretty good.

---

It did not happen overnight.  It was a slow process of packing in pounds. 

Someone came to visit, we went to a buffet.

It was someone's birthday, we drank a little too much cocktails.

My Mom sent over my favorites.

I attributed the tightness of my pants to these small seemingly harmless activities.  I thought to myself, I am just bloated, I'd be back to normal next week, when I go back to my routine.

It never happened. 

One day, I woke up overweight.

That was my new 'normal'.

---

As if having to buy clothes one size bigger was not enough clue.

It took my brother pointing out that I needed to lose weight to get me started.  I need to thank him for challenging me to a round of biggest loser.  That made all the difference. 

I bought a digital weighing scale. 

And gasped at my weight, the first time I stepped on it.

I weighed myself everyday.

I gave up some things.

Eventually, I was somewhat back to my old self.  Not as I was early in my twenties, but a more 'realistic' version of it.

---

I've managed to stay somewhat the same since.

And now that a few years had past, and we are all about continuous improvement, it is truly time to step up again?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...