Tuesday, June 28, 2011

dating.com

No idea if there is such a site. I'm not really endorsing a particular one.

---

I just read an article in The New Yorker about online dating. Well, it really isn't dating online because you date in person, isn't it? But merely get contact information online.

It talks about the various sites and how they do the matching. It is an interesting piece really.

It is quite similar to what I do. No. Not matchmaking. Sometimes, I need to interview people and based on that, publish my finding to help the business make decisions. I also find correlation.

Obviously, the site takes these findings further and turn them to weighed business rules to perfect the matching algorithm.

It would be interesting to work for these sites.

I bet UAT will have a life of its own.

---

We--my ex colleagues and myself once, in a drunken conversation talked about setting up a site solely for breaking up. We even bought a couple of web addresses on the spot.

The next day, we were back looking into the medical software. How exciting.

---

I once had dinner with a friend who was was wanting to meet someone.

So I asked her about her other activities and people she meets.

To make a long story short, she is out there but is just not meeting anyone who interests her. Not even uninteresting ones from a certain demographic.

I casually suggested going to a dating site. She looked at me as if I suggested throwing up to lose weight.

And I explained.

I will not do the whole spill again.

---

There are some people who are not comfortable saying "I want to find someone". Someone to share my life with, someone to tell me everything will be okay, someone who will always choose me. Someone. Whatever the dependent clause that comes after it is.

Why?

Because it is a sign of weakness? Because people might think that I'm unhappy? Because Filipino women in the general sense were taught to wait? Because I'm having the time of my life with my single friends? Because I don't need a man? Because men are pigs?

Maybe not the pigs part.

For a lot of reasons.

But really. What is wrong with admitting to that?

---

I don't think signing up is an indication of anything but honesty. Admitting YOUR truth.

What you do after you "meet" potential matches determines your worth.

It is not the .com that cheapens relationships, but the childish behavior and lack of self respect.

Disclaimer: Don't be stupid, like a lot of things such as binge drinking--there are risks associated meeting up with strangers! But that is not exclusive for dating sites, isn't it? Think ebay sellers :-p

---

Do I have an account?

I hate to say NO after stating my case. But I'd hate to run the sequence of events the last four years too.

Sorry.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

This was a really good post. And I agree, there's an unreasonable taboo against online dating. One of the primary concerns (apparently) is safety. But you know, the guy you meet in the bar COULD be a serial killer too. It's not like casually meeting someone in person makes it safer and more legitimate.

I'll admit to you something I've been lying about to everyone I know. I actually met my ex online. It was funny because I was never pursuing anything online neither did I find him through a dating website. I actually met him in a forum where I was addicted to discussions and great laughs over common interests (with my interests, it's hard to find a friend in my town).

Ever since then, I realized how the internet IS a legitimate and perfectly acceptable mode of socialization. It only gets as risky/dangerous as when you give your pin number to a random stranger, or leave your house unlocked.

rotsss said...

"Disclaimer: Don't be stupid, like a lot of thins such as binge drinking--there are risks associated meeting up with strangers! But that is not exclusive for dating sites, isn't it? Think ebay sellers :-p"

HAHAAHAHAHAAH. can relate naman o. :P wine connection + ice cold beer banlaw. can? :P

tracy gomez said...

@Leila, when I was in the university late 90s, one of my professors announced that she was getting married. She had met someone in an Operations Research forum halfway across the world and they had been exchanging math models, jokes and well, a lot of other things since then.

It has been more than a decade and they are still together.

They are not all horror stories.

tracy gomez said...

@rotss dude, okay lang basta may witness. Think: ate kulot ;)

Unknown said...

i know someone who met her hubby online through a dating site. they have the same birthdate :)

i know another couple who've been married 2yrs ago. prior to that, they have been in a 'chat relationship' for 4years. di ako makapaniwala how they survived that.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...