Monday, January 3, 2011

miss smarty pants

I got a pair of pants recently, I had worn them twice before and they looked okay. Today though, they seemed lousy. Too big. I'd love to say it is because I've lost soooooo much weight, but I didn't. There is great mystery behind the suddenly too big trousers.

There is no tailor here that I actually trust. Sadly. And I have no idea when I am flying back home to let the experts do their job.

Sooooooooo, I took matters into my own hands.

-------------------

There were two options for me.

1st Option: THE EASY WAY

I could create an overlap in front that would require one straight 4-inch stitch. I just need to make sure that I pin the cloth in place strategically. It will look quite nice too. It is especially ideal now--when pleats run over to the other leg, making the pants look very well made (or sadly, horrible).

I was pretty comfortable that I could execute this. I've done it so many times with dresses, with more difficult fabrics too.

2nd Option: THE HARD WAY

(Wow, I am so articulate coming up with EASY and HARD)

I could cut from the back--as there was no way I would remove and replace the zipper of trim from both sides.

Pockets. Grrrrrr. My worries were that the back pockets may end up being too close to each other and the side pockets may wrap to the back.

After doing some inspection, I realised that the pockets--front and back placement would be fine.

I make a mental list of what I needed to do.

1. Take out the big belt loop.

2. Take out the small belt loop. Why did they have to make a small belt loop under the big belt loop?!!?!?!? Well, the answer is so your belt would stay in place if you decide to wear a skinny belt instead. STILL.

3. Remove the stitch of the waist band.

4. Cut out the overlapping cloth under the waist band, so it won't bulge.

5. Sew back the waist band.

6. Rip out brand label.

7. Pin, Line, Sew the back.

8. Kick self upon realising that you ruined a perfectly good pair of pants.

-------------------

I'm not sure what exactly prompted me to do it the hard way, maybe because I wanted to challenge myself. Or, it could be that I didn't want to put a band aid.

-------------------

I'm happy to say that I didn't have to do #8 of the hard way :)

-------------------

I'd love to post a photo of the dramatic improvement on the fit of finished product, but it seemed wrong. Seriously.

I love how the pants fit now! :)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...