Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Where's Waldo?

I remember when I was a freshman in college a facility allowed students to chat with anyone issued with a university ID. The day they announced this, more than half the class had quick lunches and headed straight to the either the library or the computer labs to check out the people in network (the rest played basketball without so much as changing from their leather shoes, of course later we discovered that not one had extra shirt on him, which was just really wonderful).

Maybe it was the promise of a short meaningless relationship (SMR) that led the rest to engage in some cyber socialization, but I was there just to make someone’s afternoon more interesting. Twenty minutes and five unknown IDs later, I realized that it would be a boring two hours. Everyone was popping Age Sex Location (ASL). I quit typing, and seriously thought of the consequences if I should be caught sleeping while pretending to read.

A window pops up.

Username: ScentlessApprentice

Now this got me interested.

(I totally forgot my Username, so for increased readability, I’ll use my name)

TracyGomez: the codename, I like.
ScentlessApprentice: What’s playing in your car?
TracyGomez: when I got off this morning, Tonight, tonight
ScentlessApprentice: finally! Someone with good taste. I really like the pumpkins
TracyGomez: I think this is my cue to say that I am no purist, I constantly find myself humming to Bone Thugs and Harmony. The bum bum, bum, bum, bum-bum part is really catchy.
ScentlessApprentice: wonderful.

And so we kept on chatting until I had to leave for class. We didn’t exchange information like our major or high school or name, which was really cool.

That was the first and last time I went to the library to chat.

A few months later, I was with Waldo, a friend from highschool, waiting at McDonald’s for the rest of our carpool. We started talking about chatting in the library and he blurts out ‘Do you chat? I did, a few times, my nic is ScentlessApprentice’.

TracyGomez: wonderful.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...