Monday, October 21, 2013

how the ground shook before we got married

The day before our flight to our wedding, the ground trembled and a 400 year old church turned to shambles.

There was an earthquake.

A 7.1 magnitude earthquake.

It hit the central part of the Philippines--where our wedding would be.

---

I woke up in my childhood home and saw several messages on my phone.

It was early morning and my sister being the concerned person that she always is, made the horrible news known to me.

I read and reread her message and prayed for our friends in Cebu.

It was not until the next day that we were scheduled to fly in.

---

When I went to our living room, I heard the television in my parents' room.  My dad was watching the news.

I went in and looked at him.  He looked back at me concerned.

We both said nothing.

---

I sent a message to my fiancé and then went back to bed.

I just laid there.  Looking at the ceiling.  Staring.  Trying not to think.

What can I do? I asked myself.

The answer was clear.

Wait.

Pray.

And I did.

---

As the day progressed, I began to get more information about the damage the earthquake had caused.  And by early afternoon, I was ready to call the hotel where we were having our reception.  We had to decide our course of action.

I called.

I was told that the personnel were instructed not to provide any information.  It will be the comms director who would make a statement.

Not one hour passed when I received a call.  The hotel.  The building had been inspected.  They were back at Business as Usual (BAU) status.

She also told me that my Dad had called earlier and that she will be returning his call too.

---

Despite the good news, there were some concerning updates.

Aftershock.

Classes had been suspended too.

More casualties.

More photos (from Bohol).

---

Late evening, we decided that we'd fly the next day.

I knew my parents were very concerned for my safety, but also understood what it meant for myself and my fiancé.  They did not stop me.

---

The trip to the airport the next day was filled with take cares.  I can feel my Dad's anxiety.

---

We reached the airport and I met my fiancé at the departure area.

We held hands.

We were going to brave through it.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...