Thursday, November 18, 2010

Philip Roth

I had randomly picked one of Roth's when I was combing through the books that a certain library was selling a few months back. It was not until two weeks ago that I had started to reading it.

Wow. His main character, Mickey sure has character!

I am a few pages short of finishing Sabbath's Theater. If I get one word to describe it, that would be...piercing. It has that quality that affects your mood (perhaps even YOU) when you read.

I can't help but view this particular book as a satire.

It is the ordinary that escapes us.

I was surprised when I found out that a moving movie that I once saw Elegy was a translation of his book The Dying Animal.

I'd definitely keep Roth in mind the next time I go book shopping.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can I just say that this book is quite dirty and there is that piece towards the end that still makes me cringe. That being said, I don't recommend it to everyone.

I think the thing about Roth's style, based on this one book is that he allows you to get close to such an extreme character that you can taste the filth. It is not easy to take in, but it draws you in. You find yourself curious. I won't go as far as saying guilty, but maybe indulgent, if you like.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...