Tuesday, August 4, 2009

the 'when harry met sally' effect

The movie was on tv a few days ago and I noticed that more than a few friends actually updated their status to quote or to express their warm fuzzy high feeling about it.

I always liked Billy Crystal, but I don't expect all girls to get it. With this being said, I wonder why When Harry Met Sally remains as one of the most liked romantic comedies. Nah, I doubt that it is because of the scene in the resto.

If the sight of the leading man doesn't make the girls blush, why are they gushing?

I'm thinking....

I'm thinking because Harry, is not Harry. He is (I'm not about to write names, even random, meaningless ones) a classmate, a neighbor, a carpooling buddy, a colleague, anyone, someone. SOMEONE. Someone who was close but just maybe, not close enough.

The appeal is that it can happen but you can't shake off the thought that it can't. Around that person you are most comfortable and most uncomfortable at the same time. It is easy and awkward. It is simple but quite complex. It is confusing but seen in absolute clarity.

Boy friends for boyfriends? Beats me. Ask Sally.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...