Friday, April 17, 2009

numb3rs

(I enjoy the show, but this isn't about that. And also not about typing "tH1S wAy".)

I reread a Haruki Murakami quote today:

Numbers aren’t the important thing...what matters is deciding in your heart to accept another person completely. When you do that, it is always the first time and the last.

I am not romantic and as much as I love Haruki, I do not get life lessons from his work.

In no way did this quote change, or remotely affect my life and the decisions that I made. It however, made me say to myself "Haruki, you got a point there".

Once upon a time, it had been brought to my attention by a certain couple that I have had (based on some standard) too many boyfriends.

When I think about it now, I have not gone past one hand's count. But taking the typical (what is typical?) number of relationships my contemporaries have had, it would likely fall above average. Maybe like Haruki, the couple had a point too.

I however, expect that people who know me get it.

The couple's opinion doesn't upset me. Or make me reconsider my decisions in case I am able to go back in time. Apologies are out of the question.

I guess some people fail to see beyond numbers and rules that the paths taken by their lives are sometimes based on trivialities.

Engaging in relationships does not make you a loose woman. Engaging in meaningless relationships does.

1 comment:

Camille said...

I like this entry Trace :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...