Tuesday, April 14, 2009

nana pina

Nana Pina just passed away. She is my lola's sister. I think of all my grandparents' siblings, she is the one closest to my family.

Whenever my lola, who is based in Canada flew to Manila to visit during summer break, Nana Pina who lived in the province would take time to go to Manila to spend time with us too.

I remember how my aunt (who lived right beside our house) would bring out the sewing machines and set it up outside so the all three ladies could sew, just for fun by the garden.

I also remember pestering my lola and Nana Pina to sew dresses for my doll, Bingo. My lola, with Nana Pina's help would make clothes for me (and for Bingo, so we match). Nana Pina even took it further by making scrunchies for me too with the remains of the cloth.

She was a petite woman who spent the whole day smiling. I think there is no one who could ever accuse her of being anything but pleasant.

For some reason, I keep remembering that day she asked me to help, by wrapping buttons with fabric that matched pillowcases so that the buttons become invisible. I managed to make two, one she had to redo.

I never really know what to say about death beyond the condolences. I guess this post ends here but not without adding that I find saying a silent prayer is the single effective self soothing act man can do.

(Image from shopping.erol.co.uk)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...