Sunday, September 2, 2007

The Bell Jar

A lot of people would most likely say that you should not read The Bell Jar when you are depressed because it might cause you to do something stupid like try and take your life. I recently re-read the book and I was surprised that this time around I didn't feel anything. When I was younger, I remember being disturbed by it. I also noticed something that failed to catch my attention years ago. It is the exchange between Irwin and Ester when they first met.
Irwin: Could you please tell me the time?
Ester: Five past four... why, you've a watch yourself!
Irwin: Doesn't work. Where are you going?
Ester: Home.
Irwin: Why would you like some coffee first?
Ester: [hesitates]
Irwin: A very small cup of coffee?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...