Sunday, July 28, 2013

life lessons and my wedding shoes

I bought my wedding shoes early on.  I think it was literally the first thing I bought for the wedding.

I had been eyeing it for a while but because I couldn't justify the purchase, I was content just looking at it online.

When we got engaged, I thought maybe.

---
I still couldn't get around the idea of spending that much on something I knew for a fact I'd wear at most, thrice in this lifetime--or until it falls apart in the shoe box.

I mean these were great shoes but in an outrageous kind of great.  Maybe fantastic is the word.

---

As it was not available where I live, I could only get it online.

I recognise (all too well) the risks.

The fit, the look... anything and everything could go wrong.

I'm not sure I like it enough to risk so much.

---

A once-in-a-lifetime online sale got it to a price that I was willing to pay.  Having the last piece in my size told me that it was destined.

---

When I received it, it looked both too big and too small to me at the same time.  You'd think that would translate to perfect right?  Wrong.

It looked so chunky, like high top sneakers.

It also looked tiny, where you'd slot your foot in.

----

It look everything I had in me to get my feet it.

I needed to expand these shoes. Badly.

THIS HAD TO BE THE ONE.  I MUST MAKE IT WORK!

---

I'd wear it around the house with horrible thick socks just to loosen it.

A few days later, I'd find that it had gone back to the original size.

It went on for a couple of weeks, it was exhausting and frustrating!

In all honestly, it was the first time in my life that I felt so uncomfortable wearing shoes--I had headaches, literally.  And I've had my share of ridiculous shoes!

---

A month went by and I decided it wasn't worth it.

NO SHOE, I feel is worth this much suffering.

---

I put the these shoes and thinking about what shoes to wear out of my mind for a while.

I needed a break from wedding-shoes-land.

---

One day an idea caught me off guard--it was about wedding shoes.  Gasp!

I know... I knew which shoe I would wear.

---

I looked into my unused shoe stash and found it.

I didn't put it on immediately as I wanted the idea to brew.

Days turned to weeks and more I thought about it, the stronger my resolve.

---


Today, I took it out to try on for the first time since I had decided it would be the one.

And...

What do you know, I had a Cinderella moment.

---

Sometimes, a great idea is just that--a great idea.

If only I had accepted that earlier on, I would have saved myself a lot of headache.

---

In hindsight, I realise that in my heart and mind, I've always known it wasn't the one.  Maybe it was the high from our engagement, the idea of ticking off a checkbox, or the online sale.  Maybe all three.

Whichever it was though, I was deciding based on (all) the wrong reason(s).

---

I'm happiest about this decision and it came at the best possible time :)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...