Sunday, July 31, 2011

pinoy sunday

Thanks to my friend's foreign colleague, we got wind of Pinoy Sunday.

It delights me whenever I come across good Filipino movies or movies with Filipino actors. This one in particular had all Filipino cast with a foreign director.

As we were watching--on a Saturday (BUT... seated on a couch!) we were talking about experiences working away from home and agreed that no matter where you are in the world, the stories are well, the same.

I won't go as far as writing these stories, as I don't want to spoil anything. But I do want to say that these ring true to the life of a Filipino abroad, and I found myself laughing and feeling that pinch in my heart almost alternately.

Manuel and Dado were factory workers in Taiwan and as you guessed, had an interesting incident involving a couch. Obviously, it wasn't just a couch. Like all other proverbial errrr, couches.

No heavy drama here (which I love!).

There were some things that got lost when the movie was subtitled--but that couldn't be helped. I'm sure though that people who can't understand Tagalog (that is the Filipino language), will warm to Epy (Manuel) and Bayani (Dado) who played the lead roles.

---

I hope that more people watch this. It is also a good reminder that for some people, Sundays could be quite literally the only thing that they look forward to--for months even. So maybe, one ought to cut them some slack if they could be quite chatty or seemingly rowdy, remind yourself that if you were in their shoes, you'd be excited on Sundays too.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...