Thursday, October 25, 2007

Teh for Tricky

After almost three years in Singapore, I still don't know how to buy tea. What I want is the one with condensed milk. In Killiney I could easily get it as teh tarik, but if I try to get from other stores (or hawker places) it is a completely different story. Stall owners would tell me they don't have it, but when I look around, I'd see locals enjoying theirs.

Today, I went to Coffee & Toast to once again, try my luck. I was asking the person taking my order which one had the condensed milk, if it was the Teh O, Teh C or the Teh. She said she doesn't understand. I repeated my question--twice, but I still did not get the answer I wanted.

I played the guessing game. Hoping "C" stands for Condensed milk, I asked for a Teh C.

After my first sip, I realized that I picked the wrong one.

My Singaporean officemate was kind enough to differentiate the teas when I told her about my story.

To aid those who have had been in a situation similar to mine, I am documenting what I learned today.

Teh O - tea with sugar
Teh C - tea with evaporated milk
Teh - tea with condensed milk

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...