Wednesday, August 19, 2015

no kneading (promise)

With all my baking stuff packed (and ready to move) and the void that is the absence of a mixer in my life, I had a sneaky suspicion that I would not be making bread anytime soon.  At least not for the next three weeks.

But you see, curiosity and information are dangerous things.  DANGEROUS.

During the classes last week, Chef taught us to make and use sponge and also demonstrated--more like prepared a no knead bread that looked like it was a prop from some artisan bakery photo shoot.  

Without a weighing scale I could not really practice my baking ratios.  I also had only one packet of active yeast--given to me by a good friend because she knew how hard not baking was for me!

So I googled and used a random recipe for no knead bread.  

---

Oh, I had to bake my bread using a frying pan.  FRYING PAN.  

Remember?  Baking stuff inaccessible!

I split my dough into two so that I can experiment on the difference in outcomes.  
The first one I baked covered with aluminum foil (and cool frying pan) and the second on a pre-heated frying pan with no cover.


mentos inspired

The second rose much better, it had a rounder profile and had a smoother crust.  

As I finished the entire first loaf--it is clear that there were no complaints here.  The crust was so crispy and inside was soft.

I'm sure Mom is excited to visit to taste these breads.

---

I have some left over yeast from the small packet, so I went ahead and made another batch using a different recipe.  We shall see how tomorrow's bread would turn out.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...