Monday, April 14, 2014

Surprise!

One week.

I was just sitting across my brother and sister in law.  

We were talking about the joy that is my nephew coming in June.

Over fried chicken, that my brother liked.

Over strawberry iced tea, that my sister in law tried.

In our home.

Sunday lunch.

---

And without warning, without as much as a hunch, my sister in law, a week later, gave birth.

---

The day everyone was cheering Pac Man, celebrating the unanimous victory, my husband and I were standing outside a controlled room where a little boy lies with his mom by his side holding him.  

From outside, I could only see his body and a side of his head.

His head.  Covered by a white and yellow striped bonnet to keep warm.

His face was turned away from me, but somehow I knew he had the face of a child determined to get stronger so he can come home with his family.

---

His hands.

His feet.

His left cheek.

I could see his chest go up and down, as he took each breath.  A constant reminder of the miracle of new life.

---

I looked at my sister in law who is supposedly exhausted from delivery just half a day ago.

I saw happiness.    

So much, that my own heart fluttered.  And for a second, I was floored with gratefulness.  

We are blessed.

There was no way that her journey to childbirth could be smoother.  Perfection.  A path paved by God.  

I said a short prayer of thankfulness.

Smiled to myself.

And sent my love to the little guy I'd soon meet.  

---

Holding my husband's hand, I countinued to watched.  Looked.  Enjoyed.  Shared.  That.  Moment. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...